FAQs - Wyoming Kentwood Leadership Development (WKLD) Program
Apply for the Leadership Development Program
What is the Mission?
Whom should attend?
What are the expectations of the participants?
Candidates must have the full support of the organization they represent.
Graduation from the WKLD Program does not signify an end but represents the beginning of a commitment to continued self and professional improvement. Participants are encouraged to become actively engaged within their respective business, chamber and community organizations in leadership roles.
Throughout the WKLD experience, participants will be exposed to various chamber committees and leadership opportunities available for future engagement. Participants will also be provided with the tools to research and apply for available leadership roles.
What is cost to attend?
education sessions, snacks, materials for the program, one networking luncheon session, and reserved seating at the WKACC Annual Meeting which will be held in January of 2019.
Upon notification of acceptance into 2018 Wyoming Kentwood Leadership Development, an invoice will be sent, and tuition is due by August 31, 2018.
What is my time commitment?
Program class sessions, a volunteer session, discussions, and feedback. The sessions will begin promptly at 6:00 p.m. and end at 8:30 p.m.
Session attendance is mandatory. In every session, participants should be actively engaged in discussions, classwork and complete any outside assignments. Your presence, energy, ideas, and questions are essential to the full Leadership Development experience.
WKLD participants are also required to participate in two separate events; professional networking luncheon and a business volunteer event. WKLD participants may attain one (1) excused absence because of extenuating circumstances. Dismissal from the program will result from unexcused absences.
What are the dates for the 2018 Wyoming Kentwood Leadership Development Program?
Session 1 Thursday, September 6
Session 2 Thursday, September 20
Session 3 Thursday, October 4
Session 4 Thursday, October 18
Session 5 Thursday, November 1
Session 6 Thursday, November 15
Sessions will be held at various locations within the Wyoming and Kentwood community. Attendance at all sessions is mandatory. Participants will be exposed to additional programs and chamber events that can enhance their professional development, but they are not all requirement.
WKLK Participants must choose to attend one Professional Networking Luncheon:
- September 21st 11:30 am – 1:30 pm 3rd Friday Luncheon – Location TBD
- October 19th 11:30 am – 1:30 pm 3rd Friday Luncheon – Location TBD
WKLD Participants must choose one community event volunteer opportunity:
- October 27th 9:00 am – 12:00 pm Community Expo, Kentwood Parks & Recreation
- Dec 1st 9:00 am – 12:00 pm Santa Parade, South Division Ave in Wyoming
How will the participant selection process go?
Applicants will be notified of their participation acceptance by a phone call and email. It is an honor to be invited to participate in the Wyoming Kentwood Leadership Development (WKLD) Program. Due to many qualified candidates, the selection for the classes presents a difficult challenge. Individuals who were not selected are encouraged to apply again next.
What is the ideal candidate profile?
- Available time and full employer support to participate in the program and commitment to volunteer service after the completion of the program.
- A passion for the people and future of our community, and a personal commitment to help improve the quality of life in West Michigan.
- Active within or interested in becoming engaged in the community through volunteer service and leadership.
What are the benefits to me as a participant?
- Develop valuable leadership skills and insights on motivation, communication, negotiation and presentation
- Interact with local area decision makers from a variety of professions and organizations
- Expand communication networks and business relationships within the community
- Connect with mentors who can provide resources and support
- Increase leadership and problem-solving skills in employees
- Obtain new ways to influence individual positive change and positively impact business profits
- Expand networking opportunities that can identify strategic alliances and business solutions
- Gain perspective of business and community issues that can be used for greater organizational effectiveness